Tonight, Donald Trump’s new speechwriter Stephen Bannon wrote a shameless speech infused with one minute of scripted, generic regret for his campaign of hatred, and with arched eyebrows and an incredulous look on his face, the Republican presidential candidate dutifully read his lines (video below). Hillary Clinton’s response was rapid and shows the insight needed by a President:
“Donald Trump literally started his campaign by insulting people. He has continued to do so through each of the 428 days from then until now, without shame or regret.
We learned tonight that his speechwriter and teleprompter knows he has much for which he should apologize. But that apology tonight is simply a well-written phrase until he tells us which of his many offensive, bullying and divisive comments he regrets—and changes his tune altogether.”
Need a Refresher on Who Trump Has Insulted?
- Here’s one, with 250 insults from Twitter: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/01/28/upshot/donald-trump-twitter-insults.html?_r=0
- Another collection of some groups he’s insulted from last year: http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/27/politics/donald-trump-insults-groups-list/
- And another one from February: http://www.latimes.com/nation/politics/la-na-donald-trump-insults-20160218-htmlstory.html
Donald Trump’s Past Record of Regret: On attacking the Khans, a Gold Star family:
On assailing the ethics and motives of Judge Curiel:
- Asked if he regretted making his criticism of the judge personal,Trump said his side had been treated very unfairly.
On calling immigrants rapists:
On mocking a reporter with a disability:
- Trump denied he had mocked the reporter and demanded his own apology.
As we have seen from time to time, the short-fingered politician can read a few scripted lines once in a while, but prefers to conduct his reality tv inspired campaign entirely off the cuff, and mostly with wildly baseless statements, followed by his repeated “trust me” mantra.
Stephen Bannon just transferred from inside the Trump Campaign’s Brietbart media spin division to its often underutilized TelePrompTer division over the past week, after every poll in the country shows Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton poised to score a landslide victory.
The Republican nominee panicked and scrambled for a greater, more imaginative liar than his Ukranian oligarch concierge Paul Manafort, and behold, the first result by Bannon, who is the darling of the alt-right aka racist-nationalist voters, is genuine words of false regret which never would’ve occurred to the crass Donald Trump.
Kudos to Hillary for not letting them get away with it.