Progressive filmmaker Michael Moore just wrote up a 5-point morning-after-pill for rank and file members of the Democratic Party to swallow, a recipe for all of us who are shocked and disillusioned about the result of last night’s general election. In a nutshell, Moore told Democrats to get over it, last night was lost, so now it’s time to take the progressive fight to the streets, the halls of power and to the media outlets who normalized a KKK supported candidate until he became our country’s President-elect.
Moore’s plan says that it’s not enough to shovel blame on the media, or on Republican voters, the KKK or anyone else for the indisputable failure of clubby, insider driven Democratic politics. His five point plan includes dumping old leadership, ignoring and outing media pundits urging mindless collaboration, a Republican-style scorched earth campaign, holding the media responsible for creating the Trump phenomenon and reminding anyone who will listen that Hillary Clinton won the most votes in this year’s election. Here’s the entire plan:
1. Take over the Democratic Party and return it to the people. They have failed us miserably.
2. Fire all pundits, predictors, pollsters and anyone else in the media who had a narrative they wouldn’t let go of and refused to listen to or acknowledge what was really going on. Those same bloviators will now tell us we must “heal the divide” and “come together.” They will pull more hooey like that out of their ass in the days to come. Turn them off.
3. Any Democratic member of Congress who didn’t wake up this morning ready to fight, resist and obstruct in the way Republicans did against President Obama every day for eight full years must step out of the way and let those of us who know the score lead the way in stopping the meanness and the madness that’s about to begin.
4. Everyone must stop saying they are “stunned” and “shocked.” What you mean to say is that you were in a bubble and weren’t paying attention to your fellow Americans and their despair. YEARS of being neglected by both parties, the anger and the need for revenge against the system only grew. Along came a TV star they liked whose plan was to destroy both parties and tell them all “You’re fired!” Trump’s victory is no surprise. He was never a joke. Treating him as one only strengthened him. He is both a creature and a creation of the media and the media will never own that.
5. You must say this sentence to everyone you meet today: “HILLARY CLINTON WON THE POPULAR VOTE!” The MAJORITY of our fellow Americans preferred Hillary Clinton over Donald Trump. Period. Fact. If you woke up this morning thinking you live in an effed-up country, you don’t. The majority of your fellow Americans wanted Hillary, not Trump. The only reason he’s president is because of an arcane, insane 18th-century idea called the Electoral College. Until we change that, we’ll continue to have presidents we didn’t elect and didn’t want. You live in a country where a majority of its citizens have said they believe there’s climate change, they believe women should be paid the same as men, they want a debt-free college education, they don’t want us invading countries, they want a raise in the minimum wage and they want a single-payer true universal health care system. None of that has changed. We live in a country where the majority agree with the “liberal” position. We just lack the liberal leadership to make that happen (see: #1 above). Let’s try to get this all done by noon today.
Michael Moore is right. The Democratic Party missed its chance in 2016 at positive change, to expand the base with new ideas, and to win the electoral college vote by nominating Bernie Sanders. Those same frustrated progressive Democrats are taking to the streets tonight in protest, seeking the political revolution they were promised.
It isn’t enough just for activists to pound the pavement. Rank and file Democrats need to wake up, stand up and oppose the Republican agenda at every turn.
We must fight them in the cities, we must frustrate them in the suburbs. We must challenge them at each turn with word, and deed, with endless passion and persistence.
Collaboration by Democrats is what turned the problem of George W. Bush’s presidency into the mega-disaster of the Republican Party’s Iraq War, deficits and financial collapse.
The mainstream media is desperately spinning last night’s election results as cause to unite America behind the most offensive politician in modern American history.
Don’t listen to their pablum. Listen to the protesters in the street who are saying, “Not my President.”
Michael Moore is right, this is no time to kowtow. It is time for Democrats to fight.
Grant Stern is an Editor-At-Large for OccupyDemocrats and published author. His new Meet the Candidates 2020 book series is distributed by Simon and Schuster. He's also mortgage broker, community activist and radio personality in Miami, Florida., as well as the producer of the Dworkin Report podcast. Grant is also an occasional contributor to Raw Story, Alternet, and the DC Report. Find out more at grantstern.com.