Ivanka Trump, daughter of Republican President Donald Trump, owes more than $5,000 in taxes related to Ivanka Trump Fine Jewelry and just got hit with a tax warrant by the state of New York, according to the Daily Mail:
- New York State has filed a tax warrant against Ivanka Trump Fine Jewelry accusing her Manhattan store of failing to pay over $5,000 in taxes
- In the past month, major retail chains including Nordstrom and Neiman Marcus have dropped Ivanka’s line from their websites and stores
- Even before Donald Trump became president, Ivanka’s jewelry company faced legal and financial troubles
- In March 2016, the New York Supreme Court ordered her company to pay over $3 million to KGK Jewelry over a breach of contract dispute
- The current lien against Ivanka is still active and has not yet been paid off
Trump has been having one terrible month after retailers around the US dropped her fashion line citing poor sales, and now she has been hit with a lien after failing to pay back taxes owed by her jewelry store.
Trump likely thought her businesses would boom with her father being elected president, but with his rising unpopularity and boycotts against retailers who carry her products, it seems her companies are beginning to fail.
To make matters worse, it’s been reported that Trump had previously been ordered to pay more than $2 million in payments to a supplier that her jewelry store stopped paying.
Unfortunately for Trump, she seems to have taken business advice from her father, a man who regularly defaults on payments to contractors and sends multiple businesses in bankruptcy.
Dan Arel is a bestselling author of The Secular Activist; and Parenting Without God. He is an award-winning journalist and host of the Danthropology Podcast.