The House Intelligence Committee has finally decided to move ahead with their investigation of President Trump, his campaign staff’s secret communications with agents of the Russian Federation, and the allegations that the President is being blackmailed by the Kremlin.
The initial list of witnesses is as follows:
- James Comey, Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation
- James Clapper, former Director of the Defense Intelligence Agency
- Mike Rogers, Director of the National Security Agency
- John Brennan, former Director of the Central Intelligence Agency
- Sally Yates, former Acting Attorney General
- Dmitri Alperovich, co-founder and Chief Technology Officer of CrowdStrike
- Shawn Henry, CrowdStrike Services President, and Chief Security Officer
CrowdStrike is the cybersecurity firm that first discovered that the servers of the Democratic National Committee had been breached and that the Clinton campaign itself was under cyberattack by agents of the Russian Federation.
A very distinguished list of names indeed. All of them were deeply involved in discovering the hacks in the first place, tracing the hacks back to the Russians, monitoring Russian communications, discovering meetings with the Trump camp, and corroborating the evidence in the infamous Christopher Steele Trump-Russia dossier.
It remains to be seen if partisan shills like committee chair Rep. Devin Nunes (R-CA) are capable or even willing to do their jobs and conduct a thorough investigation. We still need a special prosecutor and an independent bipartisan commission.
But at least something is finally happening after so many months of waiting. The American people deserve to know if our democratic system was subverted by a foreign power and whether or not our President is being blackmailed.
Colin Taylor is the editor-in-chief of Occupy Democrats. He graduated from Bennington College with a Bachelor's degree in history and political science. He now focuses on advancing the cause of social justice and equality in America.