North Korea just attempted to test launch a missile, which failed “almost immediately,” according to United States and South Korean military officials.
Per Reuters, South Korea’s Office of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said, “The North attempted to launch an unidentified missile from near the Sinpo region this morning but it is suspected to have failed.”
This missile launch comes on the heels of an NBC News report claiming that the United States may launch a preemptive strike if North Korea follows through with a nuclear weapons test.
“The attempted launch comes just one day after the North held a massive parade to display is military might, including what experts said included new capabilities for long-range intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs).”
Of the launch, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said only:
“North Korea launched yet another intermediate range ballistic missile. The United States has spoken enough about North Korea. We have no further comment.”
Trump, who is currently at Mar-a-Lago in West Palm Beach, Florida, has been briefed and Vice President Pence is current en route to Seoul to meet with the acting president. Trump had previously signaled a willingness to entrust China with de-escalating the situation in North Korea, but with a caveat:
I have great confidence that China will properly deal with North Korea. If they are unable to do so, the U.S., with its allies, will! U.S.A.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) April 13, 2017
Following all of Trump’s bombastic rhetoric surrounding this missile launch, the ball is now in his court. After showing a frightening willingness to engage militarily, Trump may now very well drag the United States into an unnecessary nuclear war with North Korea.
Please consider supporting the fund. Thank you!
Brian Tyler Cohen is a political writer, actor, and comedy sketch director. He graduated from Lehigh University with a dual degree in English and Business. He currently lives in Los Angeles.