Now Reading
Wife of man who died after taking chloroquine: we saw Trump on TV, he told us it was safe

Wife of man who died after taking chloroquine: we saw Trump on TV, he told us it was safe

Tragedy has struck as the President’s reckless promotion of untested and unproven drugs as potential miracle cures for the virus have proven to be not only dangerous but in at least one case downright deadly.

Trump’s constant harping about the potential of an anti-malarial drug Hydroxychloroquine as a potential treatment for the coronavirus infection — despite the fact that it has neither been tested for safety and efficacy by the Food and Drug Administration under a proper drug testing protocol — has led to the first confirmed U.S. fatality due to his ignorant spread of misinformation, even after Nigeria reported two cases of chloroquine overdose poisoning after Trump first started mentioning it as a possible cure.

NBC News is reporting that “an Arizona man died after ingesting chloroquine phosphate in an attempt to protect himself from becoming infected with the coronavirus. The man’s wife also ingested the drug and is currently under critical care.”

Chloroquine phosphate is a commonly used ingredient used for cleaning fish tanks and, while chemically related to Hydroxychloroquine, the two chemicals are quite distinct.

The wife of the poisoned man told NBC News that President Trump’s words were directly responsible for their decision to take the chloroquine.

https://twitter.com/HeidiNBC/status/1242238268277755905?s=20

Sponsored Links

Not only did Trump force medical experts like Dr. Anthony Fauci, the Director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, to contradict his optimism about potential cures and vaccines in disclaimers to press after Trump yielded the microphone at the briefings, but Trump continued to push the drug as a miracle cure in subsequent Twitter postings even after he had been publicly corrected.

Trump fired America’s pandemic response team. Demand he reassemble it to confront the coronavirus pandemic immediately!

In response to the news, Dr. Daniel Brooks, the medical director for Banner Poison and Drug Information Center, said that “given the uncertainty around COVID-19, we understand that people are trying to find new ways to prevent or treat this virus, but self-medicating is not the way to do so.”

“Medical toxicologists and emergency physicians are warning the public against the use of inappropriate medications and household products to prevent or treat COVID-19. In particular, Banner Health experts emphasize that chloroquine, a malaria medication, should not be ingested to treat or prevent this virus,” the Banner Health system said in a statement.

Even if properly administered by a doctor in a clinical setting, the false hopes that the president has set up for the non-approved use of the drug has caused a run on the medication that is now preventing researchers from obtaining sufficient quantities of the substance to run legitimate trials of the chemical on COVID-10 patients to see if it can actually make a significant difference in treatment of the disease, as MSNBC’s Chris Hayes reported.

Sponsored Links

With Trump now appearing to be ready to prematurely end the quarantines that are keeping the virus from spreading more rapidly because the economic consequences of shuttered businesses look like they will soon shutter his reelection chances, the overdose death of the man who trusted the president’s hype about the potential cure will likely not be the last death that Trump will bear responsibility for.

The price for believing this man is far too high to be worth trusting your — or the country’s — future to his veracity or his “hunches” and “feelings.” He will get us all killed if he’s not removed from power as soon as possible.

Follow Vinnie Longobardo on Twitter

Original reporting by Erika Edwards at NBC News.

© 2019 Occupy Democrats. All Rights Reserved.

Scroll To Top